Thursday, July 21, 2005

Chav Scum!


I am obsessed with Chavs, probably because I'm an unabashed Anglophile and always have been. For anyone who doesn't know, "chav" describes what we Americans would call white trash. That's about as close as I can get to translating it. Since we don't have much of a class system, it's not quite the same thing but you get the idea. I love the chav phenomenon so much I even ordered the guidebook to all things chav.

Anyway, chavs are obsessed with bling, designer clothes and not much else. The Beckhams are considered the ruling chavs because of their vulgar displays of wealth. The calling card of a chav is a Burberry baseball cap and some kind of hoodie. The UK is so upset about this new ruling class that some shopping areas have actually banned these items. That seems so tame to me - probably because we can't even keep guns away from public areas, much less hoodies.

These are a couple of my favorite chav sites:

Chav Scum
Chav Freebies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home